Miss A's Blog

Just a muslim woman trying to make some sense out of this world. This is my creative outlet, and my place to let out frustration, and emotion.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Right To Vote

Some people are never wrong (according to themselves). This is perhaps one of the reasons I truly dislike where I work. Today, oh today!


The argumentative coworker, we shall label her AC for short, decided to argue, AGAIN. We were just having a friendly conversation along political topics. A friendly coworker asked us who we thought would be most likely to be voted into office, an African-American man or a woman. AC said she thought a woman, both the friendly and I said African-American man. I stated that the reason I believed this is because it's still a male-dominated world. I also said that African-Amercan men were given the right to vote before any women were. That's U.S. history baby! AC scoffed at me and told me I better go back and do my research again, that women were able to vote first.


Because it's something I knew for certain (I majored in women's studies, hello?), I went online and printed it out, the timeline of voting rights in U.S. history. I showed it to her, and guess what? She still argued that I was wrong! Huh?

The African-American men were given the right to vote in 1868, and women didn't get that right until 1920. AC said just because they were given the federal right to vote doesn't mean the states let them. When women were allowed to vote they could do it right away without problems. So I was obviously wrong. Don't worry that women weren't allowed to vote until 52 years later! Nothing changes in 52 years, right? Argh!

3 Comments:

At 7/4/07, 1:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam,

Came across your blog a few days ago, and finally, I comment =D

^that's just the argument of a pig-headed, stubborn person, who knows that she's wrong but is in denial to accept the fact. Ignore peple like this.

=)

Wassalaam
x

 
At 7/4/07, 1:46 PM , Blogger Miss A said...

Salam Snowdrops,

And thank you for your comment. I know this, I just have to vent every now and again. She drives me insane on a daily basis! I try my best to ignore. Thanks!

 
At 7/5/07, 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

^ I understand...

She drives me insane on a daily basis! I try my best to ignore.

on't let her get to you. Tell you what... why don't you do something horrible that'll shut her up? *or am I just being pure evil?* hehe =D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home