Miss A's Blog

Just a muslim woman trying to make some sense out of this world. This is my creative outlet, and my place to let out frustration, and emotion.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

My Reads

My coworker is an avid reader, as am I. It had been mostly Jane Austen for me and other English lit, as I wanted to read some of the things my time in the English department didn't offer me. My coworker Marzipan (who I love and adore) loaned me 4 books.










Persepolis : It is more like a comic strip novel. It's about a girl growing up in Iran with all the war going on. I liked it and I flew through it.






Three Cups of Tea : I think this is an amazing book. Not only because some American guy is helping muslims, but it just shows that there are good people in this world. I highly recommend this book. Plus take a look at the website. I think if you buy the book from there the proceeds go to building schools for children in Pakistan and Afghanistan.




What Is The What : I'm in the middle of this book and it has been giving me a hard time. It's good, but not in a heartwarming way. This is the story of a Sudanese refugee, and his journey as a young man out of Sudan. It's interesting, sad, and horrific. I suppose those aren't the best words to use if I want to get someone to read it. If you can handle reading about the things that happen during wartime, then you can handle this, but if not... stay away.


















The Late Homecomer : A memoir of a Hmong family. I haven't read this book yet, but the reviews are very positive. I believe it's about a Hmong family that leaves Laos amongst all the choas in that country. I am looking forward to reading this. I work with a lot of Hmong and there is a large Hmong population here in Minnesota.


















Well this is my myriad of summer reads. A nice plateful of different cultures and struggles.

1 Comments:

At 8/2/08, 4:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok i'm a dork, I read some more of your posts and realized you're actually back in minn now. But do we go to the same masjid? Do we know each other? I know you're probably gonna tell me who you are and I'm gonna smack myself in the forehead for not guessing.
email me? mollyannelian[at]gmail

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home