Miss A's Blog

Just a muslim woman trying to make some sense out of this world. This is my creative outlet, and my place to let out frustration, and emotion.

Friday, May 19, 2006

A Muslim Feminist by Any Other Name...

What is a muslim feminist? I've been pondering this question a bit lately. My friend was telling me last week that her ex-husband didn't like me. He thought that I was a feminist. Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

I think to myself.... hmmm... I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, English, and women's studies. What part of that might clue you into the fact that I'm all for women's rights? Women's rights. That's just it, I concern myself with my rights as a muslim woman. Is this a bad thing? To know my religion and how I should be treated?

I guess I'm a feminist because I thought my ex-husband should work. Mind you, I didn't even say that I wouldn't work or contribute. I wanted to get a second job because money was tight. He didn't want that, until later. When he felt he didn't need to work so I should get a second job! Well he is supposed to be the provider according to Islam. Expecting him to HELP with the bills must make me a feminist. Islam doesn't give a man permission to abuse his wife. So by not putting up with his abuse I am a feminist. I guess knowing my own self worth makes me a feminist. All I asked for was to be treated the way Islam tells a man to treat his wife. To be treated with respect. I didn't ask for anything that Allah doesn't clearly state is a right of a muslim wife. I guess if those things make me a feminist, then yes, I am a muslim feminist.

Is that a bad thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home