Miss A's Blog

Just a muslim woman trying to make some sense out of this world. This is my creative outlet, and my place to let out frustration, and emotion.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hot Temps and a Scarf


My mom was kind of upset today and wanted to go shopping. She came my way to take me along with her. I didn't particularly want to leave the house to go out in the 100 degree heat. Well, I wanted to make my mom happy, so I did. Being Muslim isn't easy. The hijab or scarf I wear annoys me at times. I'm not always comfortable.

While my mom was browsing around in a store a sales lady came up to me. She asked, "Aren't you really hot in all that clothing?" I politely answered that the fabric is very light and breathable. I don't have the sun beating down on my head or skin, thus it does not absorb as much heat.

I really wanted to be rude. I wanted to ask if she was hot when she went outside in the clothes she wears. I wanted to say if it's hot outside and I'm in a tank top and shorts, I'm going to be hot. So of course when you add more clothing, I am still going to be hot. Does my clothing change the fact the the temperature outside is so hot a person can hardly stand it? Hot is hot, it doesn't matter what you wear.

People please think about it for a couple seconds before you ask a Muslim woman in a scarf if she's hot in the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home