Miss A's Blog

Just a muslim woman trying to make some sense out of this world. This is my creative outlet, and my place to let out frustration, and emotion.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Fjar Prayer

I often take for granted what a hard time it can be for others to wake up and pray fjar (morning prayer). During the week I am up during the fjar time anyway, it's not difficult for me to "make" this prayer. On the weekends I can wake up, pray, and eventually doze back off to sleep on the days I have nothing planned. I feel terriffic when I pray fjar, it feels as though my day is starting off right. In modern day society there really is no excuse for not getting up for this glorious prayer. I used to have a few excuses myself that I've overcome:

Oversleeping- We have alarm clocks now, it's not like we are amish.

Not waking up to the alarm- Really? When it's something "important" like an appointment or work, do you oversleep the alarm? Probably not, or you likely don't have your job anymore. Let's face it, our prayers our more important than work even, so why not get up?

It's too much work- In all reality, how long does it take to make wudu and pray 2 rakah? Maybe 15 minutes at the MOST. We can't wake up for 15 minutes? Seriously? I have no problem falling back asleep afterward.

What do they say in the athan for fjar... "Prayer is better than sleep". Truly it is.

"Perform As-Salat from mid-day till the darkness of the night, and recite the Quran in the early dawn. Verily, the recitation of the Quran in the early dawn is ever witnessed." 17:78

The angels in charge of mankind during the night and during the day are both present at fjar.

Start your day off the right way, eating breakfast is important too, but I'm talking about getting up to worship Allah. To thank Allah for allowing us to start another day. You may think that you will feel sleepy, but everything is from Allah. I never feel sleepy when I wake up for fjar, I feel that my day has been started in the best way possible.

3 Comments:

At 10/1/07, 7:57 PM , Blogger Organica said...

Fajr prayer is usually a struggle for me. During Ramadan it has been a little easier, but I usually can't go to sleep after suhoor and fajr which means my day starts at 5 am and must end at 9pm or so. I am having difficulty getting anything accomplished. Nevertheless, the advice is encouraging, I hope I can follow it.

 
At 10/6/07, 11:51 AM , Blogger Miss A said...

InshaAllah, I'm only trying to be encouraging. I can't even explain how I truly feel when I've prayed fjar. It just feels so great!

 
At 10/15/07, 7:05 PM , Blogger The Antipurist said...

So true! Alhamdulillah, I was working a crazy-early job when I became Muslim so I got the Fajr habit early and it's stuck. There are days I get out of bed, pee, get all wudu'd, and pray and get back to sleep within like 10 minutes! LOL.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home